RS Coven
RS Coven
RS Coven
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Members Forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

PTSD counsolling and things I have learned

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Ray

Title : Mrs Nosey
Female

PTSD counsolling  and things I have learned Empty
PostSubject: PTSD counsolling and things I have learned   PTSD counsolling  and things I have learned I_icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 6:21 pm

Ok so some of you who are on Facebook and on my friends list may already know, but for those who do not I have been diagnosed with PTSD which is short for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and over the past few months I have been in a program that is to help me learn how to cope with triggers and past issues.

In this program it includes meditation techniques and a lot of self examination and I am really happy to be in this program though it is scary at times. So basically this thread is going to be an account of what I have learned so far and what is to come Smile

Now with that I wanted to share with you the first thing she taught me it is a visualization technique that is aimed at helping put things away as it were, so when I leave a session I am not taking it home with me and affecting my family with it. It is called The Box or the containment box

So what you do is you close your eyes and do your deep breathing and make sure your grounded by having your feet flat on the floor. And this was a guided Visualization but once you have been through it enough you can do it on your own.

You then visualize a box in any shape, colour or form that feels right to you.
Once you have it visualized the box, you then open it and then place the things inside you feel need to be in there, it can be an emotion, situation, anything.

How you place the things in the box is totally up to you, you can throw things in or just put things in carefully, once again it is whatever way you feel that fits. And once you are sure that you are done putting things in this box you then close it and you visualize closing the box and secure it so that only you can open it and then you put it away where only you can find it.

Oh and remember to keep breathing ..

-----------
So the first time I did this my box actually was a treasure chest to me that was the simplest box I could visualize and well it suits me. As I opened it and put my things in it I noticed I was calm about it, it also occurred to me that I was looking down at my hands but it did not feel it was me putting these things in the chest.

Once it was closed I visualized it being wrapped up by the roots of a tree and the lock that I have placed in it had the tip of a root stuck in the lock so no one could get into it. Then it was pulled into the tree for safe keeping.

When I finished this weight felt like it was taken off my shoulders and I felt very happy afterwards. The one thing I did and still do need to remember is to breath normally. I found I was getting so wrapped up in my visualization that I would stop with the regular deep breathing...

So that is one technique I have learned so far and I have an art piece I will be doing to show what my visualization looks like
Back to top Go down
http://silverclawstudio.com/
Ray

Female

PostSubject: Re: PTSD counsolling and things I have learned   PTSD counsolling  and things I have learned I_icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 6:36 pm

Ok one last thing before I go is last weeks session I was asked to think about this topic, " What do you get when you let something go ?"

So my first thoughts when my counsollor asked me about this was, if you let something go you had to have learned something about yourself or situation and then I did not think much more about it till earlier today .

The same thought occurred about having to have learned something and I thought about lessons regarding control, or the lack there of and how you may not like giving up control of a situation but it may be necessary. And that is when I had a "KABOOM !" moment and thought Acceptance. I have no clue why it hit me the way it did but this has me just thinking of a lot of things now and it makes a lot of sense as to what has been going with me as of late.

So ya everything I have been through as of late, I look at it and realize that I have accepted the things that have happened and for some of the things I have let them go and know it is ok, while others I still need to work on, but still this really helps me know or rather teaches me where I need to work on regarding my healing. So ya rather happy with that discovery Very Happy

So what are your thoughts on the question ?
Back to top Go down
teachent

teachent

Title : witch
Female

PostSubject: Re: PTSD counsolling and things I have learned   PTSD counsolling  and things I have learned I_icon_minitimeFri May 21, 2010 7:25 pm

good on you and good thread too Smile

For me when I let something go, I get that space back .. AND often get a piece of ME back, that no longer has to stay in that time and space. There is actually a whole concept of collecting the fragments based on this as a piece of the work.

But that space back to - like the story of the monks walking down the road - one picks up a woman carries her across the road and they keep going. That is against their way to touch a woman -- farther down the road the monk says to the other I can not believe you did that .. he says I put her down way back there, you are still carrying her...

Very short butchered version, but I am sure you have heard the full one before lol

♥️
t
Back to top Go down
http://www.PaganLessonPlans.com
Ray

Female

PostSubject: Re: PTSD counsolling and things I have learned   PTSD counsolling  and things I have learned I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 10:54 am

Quote :
good on you and good thread too
Thank you Smile

Quote :
For me when I let something go, I get that space back .. AND often get a piece of ME back, that no longer has to stay in that time and space. There is actually a whole concept of collecting the fragments based on this as a piece of the work.
That is interesting and it does make sense Smile

Quote :
But that space back to - like the story of the monks walking down the road - one picks up a woman carries her across the road and they keep going. That is against their way to touch a woman -- farther down the road the monk says to the other I can not believe you did that .. he says I put her down way back there, you are still carrying her...

Very short butchered version, but I am sure you have heard the full one before lol
lol I think I get the point it was trying to make Smile
Back to top Go down
teachent

teachent

Title : witch
Female

PostSubject: Re: PTSD counsolling and things I have learned   PTSD counsolling  and things I have learned I_icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 3:29 pm

Smile

♥️
t
Back to top Go down
http://www.PaganLessonPlans.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PTSD counsolling and things I have learned   PTSD counsolling  and things I have learned I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

PTSD counsolling and things I have learned
Page 1 of 1