RS Coven
RS Coven
RS Coven
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Members Forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

BCS

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
sleepycat

sleepycat

Title : chaos wrapped in cute
Male

BCS Empty
PostSubject: BCS   BCS I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 11:47 pm

This may be a short-lived thread.
Can anyone explain to me why college football does not have play offs?
I like to watch college football, but the BCS drives me nuts.

Back to top Go down
Penthesilea

Penthesilea

Title : DarkLady
Female

BCS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BCS   BCS I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 13, 2009 12:39 am

Haven't a clue. And I'd love to see playoffs too.
Back to top Go down
http://valcariasworld.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
Rudas Starblaze
Admin
Rudas Starblaze

Title : the heart of darkness
Male

BCS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BCS   BCS I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 13, 2009 3:08 pm

obviously not a sports nut here.... what does BCS stand for anyway!?

*hides now* I\'m Outta Here Hide Behind Sofa
Back to top Go down
https://rscoven.forumotion.com
sleepycat

sleepycat

Male

BCS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BCS   BCS I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 4:36 pm

Bowl Championship Series ( all the 'Bowls' college teams play at the end of the season )
Back to top Go down
Penthesilea

Penthesilea

Female

BCS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BCS   BCS I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 5:10 pm

I've yet to figure out who plays who and why in those things.
Back to top Go down
sleepycat

sleepycat

Male

BCS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BCS   BCS I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 6:45 pm

Not just that, but frequently, teams that have gone unbeaten do not even get a bowl invite because of the stupid ranking system!
Back to top Go down
Penthesilea

Penthesilea

Female

BCS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BCS   BCS I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2009 8:09 pm

And people wonder why college bowl games don't generate the excitement of the NFL playoffs or the college basketball playoffs....
Back to top Go down
Rudas Starblaze
Admin
Rudas Starblaze

Male

BCS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BCS   BCS I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 11:28 am

yeah, that does sound like a pretty shitty championship game floor plan. especially if theres undefeated teams who dont even get a bowl bid or whatever its called....
Back to top Go down
sleepycat

sleepycat

Male

BCS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BCS   BCS I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 11:40 am

It's less common now (undefeated teams not getting a bowl invitation) because there are so many 'bowls'. It used to happen a lot.

The championship game, however, is decided BEFORE the bowls are played. This year it is Texas Longhorns vs. Alabama Crimson Tide. Both are undefeated, very good teams, and it should be a good game. However, there are other teams, like Cincinatti, that should, in my opinion, at least have gotten a chance to play the Longhorns, Crimson Tide, or both, just to establish where they should be ranked.

Makes me tired and pissed off at the same time. I think I'll put on a video game and blow up sumthin.
Back to top Go down
memnoch

Title : God of Fuck
Male

BCS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BCS   BCS I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 12:00 am

sleepycat wrote:
Bowl Championship Series ( all the 'Bowls' college teams play at the end of the season )

Actually the BCS doesn't cover all of the bowl games, just the Fiesta Bowl, Rose Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Orange Bowl and the National Championship.

To answer some other questions, who goes to what is based on a mix of history and the new system, there are 6 big conferences, the Big 10, Big 12, ACC, SEC, Big East, and Pac 10. The winner of each conference are automatically in the BCS bowls. With that there are 4 at large teams, teams that are considered the best based on several factors including their record and the strength of their schedule. While it may seem unfair, think of this. Just because you win a local battle of the bands, does it make you as good as a long standing national act? Historically the bowls were created for tourism in warm climates. It gave people a reason to go to Florida, NOLA, Cali, ect. Hiistorically these bowls were for the champions of two rival leagues to play. The Rose Bowl was the Big 10 vs the Pac 10, the others were usually held by one conference and they would invite other conference champions. When the BCS was created they took the 4 big bowls.

While the BCS is far from perfect, it beats the old system where there were two national championships, one for the coaches poll and one for the AP poll, basically in one the coaches voted on what teams were best and the other sportswriters chose.

With all of that said I would love to see a 16 team playoff system, taking the 6 BCS conference champions, any undefeated teams, and then fill the brackets with the current BCS ranking system.
Back to top Go down
Rudas Starblaze
Admin
Rudas Starblaze

Male

BCS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BCS   BCS I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 9:40 am

that actually make sense breaking em up like that. i kinda figured with the amount of college football teams out there it would make it rather difficult to do one big bowl kinda thing. not to mention the seasons would prolly last all year and then some if it was one big bowl thing.
Back to top Go down
memnoch

Male

BCS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BCS   BCS I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 9:46 am

Rudas Starblaze wrote:
that actually make sense breaking em up like that. i kinda figured with the amount of college football teams out there it would make it rather difficult to do one big bowl kinda thing. not to mention the seasons would prolly last all year and then some if it was one big bowl thing.

While it is broken up, one of those games is the national championship, it is decided by averaging out the old coaches poll, AP poll, and a complex computer system that takes tons of crap into consideration, mostly related to how good your opponents are.
Back to top Go down
Rudas Starblaze
Admin
Rudas Starblaze

Male

BCS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BCS   BCS I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 11:18 am

so does that mean the winning bowl teams actually get to play each other?
i really dont know anything about college football and how it all works, ive honestly never watched a full college football game.... *hides* lol
Back to top Go down
memnoch

Male

BCS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BCS   BCS I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 11:44 am

Rudas Starblaze wrote:
so does that mean the winning bowl teams actually get to play each other?
i really dont know anything about college football and how it all works, ive honestly never watched a full college football game.... *hides* lol

No, that is what most people want. Instead the top 2 teams based on the polls and computer meet for the national championship, the others play in other big bowl games, but not the championship
Back to top Go down
Rudas Starblaze
Admin
Rudas Starblaze

Male

BCS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BCS   BCS I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 11:50 am

hell, thats just dumb! they may as well have em actually play each other. i mean for fucks sakes, are the people who run the show not even thinking about how much more money can be brought in by having them actually play for the championship!!?? Mad
Back to top Go down
memnoch

Male

BCS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BCS   BCS I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 9:32 pm

Rudas Starblaze wrote:
hell, thats just dumb! they may as well have em actually play each other. i mean for fucks sakes, are the people who run the show not even thinking about how much more money can be brought in by having them actually play for the championship!!?? Mad

Actually it is all about the money that can be brought in. Basically they don't want to do a playoff system because people might not go to (and sell out) the other bowl games. Example, this year Ohio's final game was the Rose Bowl, if it had been a playoff game fans may not have went hoping and wanting to go and see them if they could make it to the national championship through a playoff series.

As a fan I want to see the playoffs, but as a businessman I understand why they don't.
Back to top Go down
Rudas Starblaze
Admin
Rudas Starblaze

Male

BCS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BCS   BCS I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 10:17 pm

im talking about the bowl winners playing against each other til it gets down to the two best who play for the championship title. i would think that would bring in more money?
Back to top Go down
memnoch

Male

BCS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BCS   BCS I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 10:24 pm

Rudas Starblaze wrote:
im talking about the bowl winners playing against each other til it gets down to the two best who play for the championship title. i would think that would bring in more money?

It would bring in more money overall, but it would piss off every host of the BCS bowls, it would take away from the other bowl games since they would no longer be the final game of the season and the reality is they would face serious issues from those who host and sponsor the bowl games
Back to top Go down
Rudas Starblaze
Admin
Rudas Starblaze

Male

BCS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BCS   BCS I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 10:35 pm

memnoch wrote:
It would bring in more money overall, but it would piss off every host of the BCS bowls, it would take away from the other bowl games since they would no longer be the final game of the season and the reality is they would face serious issues from those who host and sponsor the bowl games

i see your point. but it just seems dissapointing to me to not really know who the best team is for the year if they dont actually play against each other. *shrugs*
but like i said earlier, it makes sense due to the amount of college teams there are out there.
Back to top Go down
memnoch

Male

BCS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BCS   BCS I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2010 10:43 pm

Rudas Starblaze wrote:
memnoch wrote:

i see your point. but it just seems dissapointing to me to not really know who the best team is for the year if they dont actually play against each other. *shrugs*
but like i said earlier, it makes sense due to the amount of college teams there are out there.

Exactly, almost every year there is debate over whether the two teams playing for the championship are the best. It sucks, but it is better than it used to be.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

BCS Empty
PostSubject: Re: BCS   BCS I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

BCS
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
RS Coven :: Sports-
Jump to: