RS Coven
RS Coven
RS Coven
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Members Forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anyone feel the earthquake (illinois) around 4:00 this morning?

Go down 
+4
Lightdragon
Rudas Starblaze
Penthesilea
Krahe Kojote
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Krahe Kojote

Krahe Kojote

Title : Trouble? Where!
Female

Anyone feel the earthquake (illinois) around 4:00 this morning? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone feel the earthquake (illinois) around 4:00 this morning?   Anyone feel the earthquake (illinois) around 4:00 this morning? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 9:53 am

Yeah, when we had a minor quake here in Illinois back in 1989 they did start up earthquake drills at school for a while. We did the old duck-and-cover under our desks.
Back to top Go down
Warden Dike

Warden Dike

Title : Woman in uniform
Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyone feel the earthquake (illinois) around 4:00 this morning?   Anyone feel the earthquake (illinois) around 4:00 this morning? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 10:20 pm

Hiding under your desk isn't going help you if the earth opens up below your classroom. Hey! It could happen. Just some food for thought. You may not like it, but it's good for you.
Back to top Go down
Krahe Kojote

Krahe Kojote

Title : Trouble? Where!
Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyone feel the earthquake (illinois) around 4:00 this morning?   Anyone feel the earthquake (illinois) around 4:00 this morning? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 9:28 am

Warden Dike wrote:
Hiding under your desk isn't going help you if the earth opens up below your classroom. Hey! It could happen. Just some food for thought. You may not like it, but it's good for you.

True! Or if your school building is more than one story, and you fall through the floor onto the people in the classroom below.

Says the person who works in a six story library, dead center of the building...well, when I'm not in my office, which is built projecting from an outer wall, with no support underneath, about four stories up. I feel so safe when the earth is active. Rolling Eyes

Theoretically the building is supposed to be earthquake-proof, most of the campus buildings are. The metal substructure might be, but I'm sure everything else will come crumbling apart, particularly given the collapsed structural column we had recently on one of the buildings due to weather shifts alone. A few portions of facades falling off before buildings are even complete...Not to mention the ceiling collapsing on its own in one of the lecture halls about a week after the semester was done, one year. Lucky school was out at that time or that could have been bad.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone feel the earthquake (illinois) around 4:00 this morning?   Anyone feel the earthquake (illinois) around 4:00 this morning? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone feel the earthquake (illinois) around 4:00 this morning?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3