RS Coven
RS Coven
RS Coven
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Members Forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

IMPORTANT SAFETY MESSAGE. (SERIOUS)

Go down 
+2
Krahe Kojote
Penthesilea
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Penthesilea

Penthesilea

Title : DarkLady
Female

IMPORTANT SAFETY MESSAGE. (SERIOUS) Empty
PostSubject: IMPORTANT SAFETY MESSAGE. (SERIOUS)   IMPORTANT SAFETY MESSAGE. (SERIOUS) I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 2:28 pm

Dike sent me this in an email this afternoon. And yeah, it's serious.

STROKE: Remember the 1st Three Letters..... S. T. R.

STROKE IDENTIFICATION:

During a BBQ, a woman stumbled and took a little fall - she assured everyone that she was fine (they offered to call paramedics) ..she said she had just tripped over a brick because of her new shoes.

They got her cleaned up and got her a new plate of food. While she appeared a bit shaken up, Jane went about enjoying herself the rest of the evening

Jane's husband called later telling everyone that his wife had been taken to the hospital -
(at 6:00 pm Jane passed away.) She had suffered a stroke at the BBQ. Had they known how to identify the signs of a stroke, perhaps Jane would be with us today. Some don't die. They end up in a helpless, hopeless condition instead.

It only takes a minute to read this...

A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke...totally. He said the trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed, and then getting the patient medically cared for within 3 hours, which is tough...

RECOGNIZING A STROKE

Thank God for the sense to remember the '3' steps, STR . Read and Learn!

Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer severe brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke.

Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:

S *Ask the individual to SMILE.

T *Ask the person to TALK and SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE (Coherently)

(i.e. It is sunny out today.)

R *Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.

If he or she has trouble with ANY ONE of these tasks, call emergency number immediately and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.

New Sign of a Stroke -------- Stick out Your Tongue

NOTE: Another 'sign' of a stroke is this: Ask the person to 'stick' out his tongue. If the tongue is 'crooked', if it goes to one side or the other, that is also an indication of a stroke.

A cardiologist says if everyone who gets this e-mail sends it to 10 people; you can bet that at least one life will be saved.

I have done my part. Will you?

Back to top Go down
http://valcariasworld.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
Krahe Kojote

Krahe Kojote

Title : Trouble? Where!
Female

PostSubject: Re: IMPORTANT SAFETY MESSAGE. (SERIOUS)   IMPORTANT SAFETY MESSAGE. (SERIOUS) I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 2:34 pm

Good thread and good reminder.

It's a little more specific than the usual ones that go out, that list symptoms I have every time I get a migaine.

Migraine by the way affects circulation in the brain in a manner consistent with certain types of transient ischemia, and people who are migraine prone have a higher likelihood of suffering from stroke.

It's one of the reasons my gynecologist was resistant to allowing me to go on the Pill to see if it might positively impact my mood issues. Apparently people who have frequent migraines, particularly any that follow an atypical pattern like mine, statistically have a significant increase of likelihood of stroke upon receiving any kind of significant hormonal treatment or therapy.
Back to top Go down
Kat

Kat

Title : Cat herder
Female

PostSubject: Re: IMPORTANT SAFETY MESSAGE. (SERIOUS)   IMPORTANT SAFETY MESSAGE. (SERIOUS) I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 2:45 pm

My great grandma had mini strokes up until her death. It runs in the family so this is a good reminder for people to talk to their doctor especially if there is a family history f it.
Back to top Go down
http://walkinganancientpath.boardhost.com/index.php
Penthesilea

Penthesilea

Female

PostSubject: Re: IMPORTANT SAFETY MESSAGE. (SERIOUS)   IMPORTANT SAFETY MESSAGE. (SERIOUS) I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 2:48 pm

My blood pressure has always tended to run on the low side of normal but my mother had high blood pressure and my grandmother died of what was then called a "cerebral hemorrhage" and although they didn't monitor those things back in the 1940's, her blood pressure was undoubted high as well. So knowing how to detect stroke is something I like knowing.
Back to top Go down
Krahe Kojote

Krahe Kojote

Female

PostSubject: Re: IMPORTANT SAFETY MESSAGE. (SERIOUS)   IMPORTANT SAFETY MESSAGE. (SERIOUS) I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 2:52 pm

Kat wrote:
My great grandma had mini strokes up until her death. It runs in the family so this is a good reminder for people to talk to their doctor especially if there is a family history f it.

So did mine. Though in her case she was in her 90s when the first few hit, and recovered almost fully until she was around 100, around then she had several more and had to go to a nursing home. Until then she managed on her own at home (with her children and grandchildren checking in and visiting several times a day...the advantages of extended family in a small town.

I don't think anyone else in the family has had any....though the great aunts and uncles (her children) are getting to the point where if it does run in the family, we'll know soon.
Back to top Go down
Rudas Starblaze
Admin
Rudas Starblaze

Title : the heart of darkness
Male

PostSubject: Re: IMPORTANT SAFETY MESSAGE. (SERIOUS)   IMPORTANT SAFETY MESSAGE. (SERIOUS) I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 4:59 pm

gonna play the odd ball here. lol

doesnt this defeat mother natures natural selection process!? lol

oh, and wont stuff like this make WD's job more of a pain in the ass too!? Laughing
Back to top Go down
https://rscoven.forumotion.com
Penthesilea

Penthesilea

Female

PostSubject: Re: IMPORTANT SAFETY MESSAGE. (SERIOUS)   IMPORTANT SAFETY MESSAGE. (SERIOUS) I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 5:04 pm

It is impossible for WD's job to be more of a pain than it already is. Trust me on that one as I hear about it on a regular basis! Certain customers should be thankful that she can't bring live steel to work because if she could, the Kansas City EMTs would be making a LOT of runs to her location!
Back to top Go down
Rudas Starblaze
Admin
Rudas Starblaze

Male

PostSubject: Re: IMPORTANT SAFETY MESSAGE. (SERIOUS)   IMPORTANT SAFETY MESSAGE. (SERIOUS) I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 5:06 pm

Penthesilea wrote:
It is impossible for WD's job to be more of a pain than it already is. Trust me on that one as I hear about it on a regular basis! Certain customers should be thankful that she can't bring live steel to work because if she could, the Kansas City EMTs would be making a LOT of runs to her location!

i dunno about the EMTs, but im sure it would keep the morgue busy! Rolling On The Floor
Back to top Go down
Krahe Kojote

Krahe Kojote

Female

PostSubject: Re: IMPORTANT SAFETY MESSAGE. (SERIOUS)   IMPORTANT SAFETY MESSAGE. (SERIOUS) I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 5:07 pm

Rudas Starblaze wrote:

oh, and wont stuff like this make WD's job more of a pain in the ass too!? Laughing

Smile have to jump in here as it's something I'm interested in.

Depends on what (if any) benefits the genes that predispose one toward stroke offer.

Example: people with only one recessive gene (rather than two) for sickle cell anemia don't get the illness, but do get protection from getting malaria.

And cancer can be viewed as the body's healing process gone haywire. Most of the chemicals that are produced in overabundance in a number of cancers are actually critical to the body's healing process, because cells need to divide at a faster rate in order for healing to take place efficiently. Thus, although as far as I know there's been no research into it, it seems to me that this scenario is possible: A genetic predisposition toward cancer later in life might be (in terms of reproduction) advantageous earlier in life if it gave the person a faster rate of healing. They might die younger than they'd wish of cancer, but not until after their reproductive years.
Back to top Go down
Penthesilea

Penthesilea

Female

PostSubject: Re: IMPORTANT SAFETY MESSAGE. (SERIOUS)   IMPORTANT SAFETY MESSAGE. (SERIOUS) I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 5:14 pm

Rudas Starblaze wrote:
Penthesilea wrote:

i dunno about the EMTs, but im sure it would keep the morgue busy! Rolling On The Floor

She's a big fan of Highlander but I don't think she'd go for decapitation right off the bat. Slashed or lopped off limbs would prompt a 911 call as would various other "not immediately fatal" wounds. So I think that the EMTs would have little time for surfing the web and posting "silly" stuff on web sites.
Back to top Go down
Rudas Starblaze
Admin
Rudas Starblaze

Male

PostSubject: Re: IMPORTANT SAFETY MESSAGE. (SERIOUS)   IMPORTANT SAFETY MESSAGE. (SERIOUS) I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 5:15 pm

cool! sounds like im dying early then! good, its taking forever anyway! Nyah Razz
Back to top Go down
Quixotically Yours

Quixotically Yours

Title : Stuck in a State of Ennui
Female

PostSubject: Re: IMPORTANT SAFETY MESSAGE. (SERIOUS)   IMPORTANT SAFETY MESSAGE. (SERIOUS) I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 7:34 pm

thank you for posting this and thank WD too
Back to top Go down
Penthesilea

Penthesilea

Female

PostSubject: Re: IMPORTANT SAFETY MESSAGE. (SERIOUS)   IMPORTANT SAFETY MESSAGE. (SERIOUS) I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 8:05 pm

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Warden Dike

Warden Dike

Title : Woman in uniform
Female

PostSubject: Re: IMPORTANT SAFETY MESSAGE. (SERIOUS)   IMPORTANT SAFETY MESSAGE. (SERIOUS) I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 10:11 pm

Rudas Starblaze wrote:

Thank you Rudas, for reminding me of that. This may come off as macabe, but DEATH shall not be denied. When HE taps you on the shoulder, it's time to make peace with your Gods, and move along. The balance has already been upset. Natural disasters are Mother Natures way of trying to get the scales even. She will be obeyed. There are no exceptions.
Back to top Go down
Krahe Kojote

Krahe Kojote

Female

PostSubject: Re: IMPORTANT SAFETY MESSAGE. (SERIOUS)   IMPORTANT SAFETY MESSAGE. (SERIOUS) I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 2:25 pm

Adding this link to the thread:

Being migraine prone doubles stroke risk, more if you have migraine auras:

http://health.yahoo.com/experts/healthnews/17769/migraine-headaches-are-a-risk-factor-for-strokes/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: IMPORTANT SAFETY MESSAGE. (SERIOUS)   IMPORTANT SAFETY MESSAGE. (SERIOUS) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

IMPORTANT SAFETY MESSAGE. (SERIOUS)
Page 1 of 1