RS Coven
RS Coven
RS Coven
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Members Forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Weird Fears You Had As A Kid

Go down 
+5
Rudas Starblaze
Sitalique
Krahe Kojote
sleepycat
Quixotically Yours
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Quixotically Yours

Quixotically Yours

Title : Stuck in a State of Ennui
Female

Weird Fears You Had As A Kid Empty
PostSubject: Weird Fears You Had As A Kid   Weird Fears You Had As A Kid I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 2:40 am

spiders: i'm not as bad as i used to be but i'm still terrified of big spiders and poisonous ones, like black widows

ice skating: i was afraid that if i went to an ice skating rink and fell on my stomach, someone would run over my fingers and partially sever them. it's why i never went ice skating as a little kid

jaws: i used to think that jaws would come out of a secret compartment in the deep end of the pool and eat me when i was little

trilobites: they scared the crappola outta me when i was little. i don't know why though.

black tiled pool: my neighbors had this black tiled swimming pool and it scared me

mr snuffaluffagus: he used to give me nightmares

clowns: i'm over that one now
Back to top Go down
sleepycat

sleepycat

Title : chaos wrapped in cute
Male

PostSubject: Re: Weird Fears You Had As A Kid   Weird Fears You Had As A Kid I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 10:15 am

Damn, Quix, you were one messed-up kid.
The only thing I was afraid of as a kid was getting caught!
... and most of the time not even that.

ETA: When I was 9 or 10, I overheard the eye doctor telling my mom that she should get used to the idea of taking care of me for the rest of my life, as he was sure I would be blind before I was 20.

That scared me.
I am blind by legal definition, 20/200+, but it's correctable, so no sweat.
Back to top Go down
Krahe Kojote

Krahe Kojote

Title : Trouble? Where!
Female

PostSubject: Re: Weird Fears You Had As A Kid   Weird Fears You Had As A Kid I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 10:38 am

I don't remember it, but when I was very young I apparently had a fear of airplanes, and I called them "bobbies". Every time one flew over I'd start crying and say the "bobbies are going to get me."

After I fell off a swimming tube into some rather filthy creek water and ended up at the hospital because of getting sick from how much I swallowed, I developed a fear of water if I couldn't see the bottom or if it was running water more than knee deep (wasn't very well coordinated as a child and even a relatively gentle current could knock my legs out from under me). I have had nightmares where I died by drowning. I've also had semi-nightmares where I was drowning at first but then suddenly realized I could breathe the water without harmful effect.

I was allowed to watch Rescue 911 as a child. As a result to this day I have a fear that the furnace and hot water heater might explode, and I'm not thrilled any time I have to be in the same room as either. Although I don't have a waking fear of them, I have nightmares about being hit and killed by trains, as well, also I think resulting from that TV program.

20 years ago this site would have given me a bad feeling, as anything with the colors black and yellow generated a strong fear response, although the worst was a lemony light yellow than the orangy yellow here.

Spiders individually don't bother me. I have several in my home. They never particularly bothered me as a child, either. Except once. We used to live rurally and let the back half of the property grow wild. I was about 5 or 6 and had run barefoot and in a two piece bathing suit into the long grass. Well, it would seem that a few days before, the garden or argiope spiders had all hatched and grown to medium size.

Although they are relatively harmless, imagine looking around as a five year old child and seeing these everywhere:

Weird Fears You Had As A Kid Argiope6252a

Weird Fears You Had As A Kid S3

Their webs were everywhere, from ground level to above my head (the grass was tall), and there was no direction I could go without getting a spider on me. Probably wouldn't have bothered me so much had it not been the middle of summer and I had been running around in normal clothes rather than a bathing suit, but I remember my parents weren't anywhere nearby and after standing there terrified and crying I finally inched my way out through this maze of spider webs and (to a five year old) giant spiders. I was about twenty feet into the grass, it seems like it took forever to get out (probably no more than 15 minutes, otherwise my parents would have been out looking for me).

I suspect that might be where my fear of the combination of black and yellow came from.

Though, when outside the long grass, and looking back toward it, in the early morning with dew covering the webs, it was beautiful, kind of like this image, only with taller grass:
Weird Fears You Had As A Kid 35bs3rq
Back to top Go down
Sitalique
Admin
Sitalique

Title : Collector of Flame
Female

PostSubject: Re: Weird Fears You Had As A Kid   Weird Fears You Had As A Kid I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 10:43 am

Not really scared more like creeped out by things as a kid. And now.

Clowns
People with no face. Or part of the face is missing.
Dolls that move/speak on their own.

Granted they aren't as nightmare inducing now as when I was younger (clowns don't even anymore), but I do still occasionally have to sleep with the light on after watching certain things with them.
Back to top Go down
http://sitalique.wordpress.com/
Rudas Starblaze
Admin
Rudas Starblaze

Title : the heart of darkness
Male

PostSubject: Re: Weird Fears You Had As A Kid   Weird Fears You Had As A Kid I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 1:12 pm

i spose i was scared of dying as a kid cause i knew i was going to hell. of course, now that im older and have accepted that fact, it doesnt bother me anymore.

my brothers have told me of a time when i was scared of shadows but this was before i can remember.
Back to top Go down
https://rscoven.forumotion.com
Penthesilea

Penthesilea

Title : DarkLady
Female

PostSubject: Re: Weird Fears You Had As A Kid   Weird Fears You Had As A Kid I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 2:40 pm

After seeing television ads for a double bill of the original "The Blob" and "The Incredible H-Man" I was absolutely CONVINCED that one or both of these creatures was under my bed and would slither out of under it in the dark and get me if I got out of bed at night. A few years later, after reading a passage in a book set in southern Indiana, ! began having nightmares about my bedroom floor being covered with a writhing mass of rattlesnakes and copperheads.
For this reason, I do NOT watch horror movies, particularly the incredibly graphic/gruesome ones of the last few decades. Skywise doesn't like sleeping with the lights on and I don't like sleeping alone!

Oh and SC, my vision is 20/2000 according to the last eye doctor I saw. Yeah, I wore "coke bottle bottoms" when I was a kid which leads to my last and only realistic fear. I was afraid of getting hit in the face during recess and breaking my glasses with the broken glass going into my eyes.
Thank the Gods for polycarbonate lenses!
Back to top Go down
http://valcariasworld.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
Warden Dike

Warden Dike

Title : Woman in uniform
Female

PostSubject: Re: Weird Fears You Had As A Kid   Weird Fears You Had As A Kid I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 12:21 am

The only thing I can remember being "creeped" out by as a kid was the giant Talos in the Harryhausen version of "Jason and The Argonauts".
Back to top Go down
Quixotically Yours

Quixotically Yours

Female

PostSubject: Re: Weird Fears You Had As A Kid   Weird Fears You Had As A Kid I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 12:53 pm

sleepycat wrote:
Damn, Quix, you were one messed-up kid.
The only thing I was afraid of as a kid was getting caught!
... and most of the time not even that.

ETA: When I was 9 or 10, I overheard the eye doctor telling my mom that she should get used to the idea of taking care of me for the rest of my life, as he was sure I would be blind before I was 20.

That scared me.
I am blind by legal definition, 20/200+, but it's correctable, so no sweat.

is that so sleepycat? well take that! Wedgie lol

Last edited by Quixotically Yours on Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Quixotically Yours

Quixotically Yours

Female

PostSubject: Re: Weird Fears You Had As A Kid   Weird Fears You Had As A Kid I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 12:56 pm

Krahe Kojote wrote:
I don't remember it, but when I was very young I apparently had a fear of airplanes, and I called them "bobbies". Every time one flew over I'd start crying and say the "bobbies are going to get me."

After I fell off a swimming tube into some rather filthy creek water and ended up at the hospital because of getting sick from how much I swallowed, I developed a fear of water if I couldn't see the bottom or if it was running water more than knee deep (wasn't very well coordinated as a child and even a relatively gentle current could knock my legs out from under me). I have had nightmares where I died by drowning. I've also had semi-nightmares where I was drowning at first but then suddenly realized I could breathe the water without harmful effect.

I was allowed to watch Rescue 911 as a child. As a result to this day I have a fear that the furnace and hot water heater might explode, and I'm not thrilled any time I have to be in the same room as either. Although I don't have a waking fear of them, I have nightmares about being hit and killed by trains, as well, also I think resulting from that TV program.

20 years ago this site would have given me a bad feeling, as anything with the colors black and yellow generated a strong fear response, although the worst was a lemony light yellow than the orangy yellow here.

Spiders individually don't bother me. I have several in my home. They never particularly bothered me as a child, either. Except once. We used to live rurally and let the back half of the property grow wild. I was about 5 or 6 and had run barefoot and in a two piece bathing suit into the long grass. Well, it would seem that a few days before, the garden or argiope spiders had all hatched and grown to medium size.

Although they are relatively harmless, imagine looking around as a five year old child and seeing these everywhere:

Weird Fears You Had As A Kid Argiope6252a

Weird Fears You Had As A Kid S3

Their webs were everywhere, from ground level to above my head (the grass was tall), and there was no direction I could go without getting a spider on me. Probably wouldn't have bothered me so much had it not been the middle of summer and I had been running around in normal clothes rather than a bathing suit, but I remember my parents weren't anywhere nearby and after standing there terrified and crying I finally inched my way out through this maze of spider webs and (to a five year old) giant spiders. I was about twenty feet into the grass, it seems like it took forever to get out (probably no more than 15 minutes, otherwise my parents would have been out looking for me).

I suspect that might be where my fear of the combination of black and yellow came from.

Though, when outside the long grass, and looking back toward it, in the early morning with dew covering the webs, it was beautiful, kind of like this image, only with taller grass:
Weird Fears You Had As A Kid 35bs3rq

i would have never gone outside if i'd lived where you did.
Back to top Go down
Krahe Kojote

Krahe Kojote

Female

PostSubject: Re: Weird Fears You Had As A Kid   Weird Fears You Had As A Kid I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 1:25 pm

Quixotically Yours wrote:

i would have never gone outside if i'd lived where you did.

Eh, just don't go in the long grass and you'll be fine. Smile

I miss that place. A lot. Sad

Under normal circumstances, I'm more uneasy about wasps (who consistently dive bomb me) than spiders (who leave me alone), and the spiders keep down the wasp population.

You probably wouldn't like my current house, either, given the eight legged residents that occupy some corners (when they don't get eaten by the cat). He sees a spider and thinks like this: Eat
Back to top Go down
Rudas Starblaze
Admin
Rudas Starblaze

Male

PostSubject: Re: Weird Fears You Had As A Kid   Weird Fears You Had As A Kid I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 1:42 pm

Krahe Kojote wrote:
You probably wouldn't like my current house, either, given the eight legged residents that occupy some corners (when they don't get eaten by the cat). He sees a spider and thinks like this: Eat

sounds like my house and my cats! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Krahe Kojote

Krahe Kojote

Female

PostSubject: Re: Weird Fears You Had As A Kid   Weird Fears You Had As A Kid I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 1:49 pm

Rudas Starblaze wrote:
Krahe Kojote wrote:

sounds like my house and my cats! Laughing

Laughing

At least you don't have to put up with a fraternity house across the street....not that I'm complaining too much, mind you, even with their parties they are still quieter than my either my upstairs or my downstairs neighbors were in my old apartment.
Back to top Go down
Quixotically Yours

Quixotically Yours

Female

PostSubject: Re: Weird Fears You Had As A Kid   Weird Fears You Had As A Kid I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 2:03 pm

Krahe Kojote: it sounds like i'd love your cat! then i wouldn't have to wait for someone to come home and kill them for me.
Back to top Go down
Rudas Starblaze
Admin
Rudas Starblaze

Male

PostSubject: Re: Weird Fears You Had As A Kid   Weird Fears You Had As A Kid I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 2:08 pm

Krahe Kojote wrote:
Laughing

At least you don't have to put up with a fraternity house across the street....not that I'm complaining too much, mind you, even with their parties they are still quieter than my either my upstairs or my downstairs neighbors were in my old apartment.

oh gods... believe me! i dont miss living in college towns! loud obnoxious kids who think theyre badasses and the shit by cranking pop rock music, drinking lite beer, and smoking pot every 10 seconds and assuming that i do too because i have long hair.... *shakes head*

ill take my neighbors who are old and quiet who accuse me of witchcraft and poisoning everything in the neighborhood who are scared shitless of me, thanks! lol
Back to top Go down
Glowy

Glowy

Title : Just A Little Wicked
Female

PostSubject: Re: Weird Fears You Had As A Kid   Weird Fears You Had As A Kid I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 5:10 pm

Let me see,

The dark, storms, tornados.. clowns, ghosts, being alone in the house, worms and german shepard dogs.
Back to top Go down
Lightdragon

Lightdragon

Title : the crystal wizard
Male

PostSubject: Re: Weird Fears You Had As A Kid   Weird Fears You Had As A Kid I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 5:16 pm

for me it was people with large eyes. I'm talking about eyes the size of baseballs. Blue skinned zombies,half human half flies. Also was afraid to stay in the bathroom after i flushed the toliet.
Back to top Go down
http://lightdragonii.deviantart.com/
Krahe Kojote

Krahe Kojote

Female

PostSubject: Re: Weird Fears You Had As A Kid   Weird Fears You Had As A Kid I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 3:55 pm

Lightdragon wrote:
Also was afraid to stay in the bathroom after i flushed the toliet.

I went through a phase like that.

For a while I was also semi-afraid of opening my eyes when I first woke up in the morning.

I would have dreams (I assume that's all they were) where I'd open my eyes and be in a different place. Every time I'd blink, someplace different, until I finally managed to open my eyes to where I was supposed to be. Scared me half to death, and I'd be blinking like crazy trying to get home, and then be afraid to close my eyes again once I was back where I was supposed to be.

It never extended into a fear of going to bed at night, though, oddly enough.

Though in terms of shifting realities, I was vaguely nervous around mirrors, because I'd never quite be certain which side of the mirror I was on....maybe I was just a puppet and the real me was going through life on the other side. Or maybe I'd switched sides without realizing it. It was enough to be nervous over, but never really scared of, I remember thinking to myself I had no way of being able to tell, and if both sides were the same or that close to being the same, why worry too much about it?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weird Fears You Had As A Kid   Weird Fears You Had As A Kid I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Weird Fears You Had As A Kid
Page 1 of 1