RS Coven
RS Coven
RS Coven
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Members Forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What are you doing to be self-sufficient or prepare for emergencies?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Krahe Kojote

Krahe Kojote

Title : Trouble? Where!
Female

What are you doing to be self-sufficient or prepare for emergencies? Empty
PostSubject: What are you doing to be self-sufficient or prepare for emergencies?   What are you doing to be self-sufficient or prepare for emergencies? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 1:37 pm

Just curious.

Me, not well prepared. I have enough canned goods to last maybe a few weeks if there truly were a major emergency.

I have books that I need to actually study and put into practice if I want to be either self sufficient or weather out an emergency that lasts more than say three weeks (an ideal emergency where no one has to worry about mobs or self defense).

I'm renting, so don't own property to go to, not self sufficient in that respect. I do however plan to put in a garden if I stay there to at least take some burden off the cost of food.

Money is mostly in bank, even if it's still useful in a bad emergency, I probably wouldn't be able to access it. Probably not a bad idea to get an emergency stash out.

At this point in my lack of preparation one hopes there would be a need for neither, but if the shit ever hits the fan, I suspect that if it weren't the middle of winter I might be able to get the heck away from people and rough it for a while, though given lack of practice I'd need maneuvering room for trial and error.

Basically self sufficiency and self reliance is a long term goal for me, but what I have going now to that end is a joke. Smile
Back to top Go down
Rudas Starblaze
Admin
Rudas Starblaze

Title : the heart of darkness
Male

PostSubject: Re: What are you doing to be self-sufficient or prepare for emergencies?   What are you doing to be self-sufficient or prepare for emergencies? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 1:45 pm

i have guns, bullets, a bow, arrows, knives, and a sword and know how to work up a dead animal so food wouldnt be much of a problem any time of year.

of course, it would be nice to stock pile vast amounts of beer and tobacco products.

other than that, im not too worried.
Back to top Go down
https://rscoven.forumotion.com
Krahe Kojote

Krahe Kojote

Female

PostSubject: Re: What are you doing to be self-sufficient or prepare for emergencies?   What are you doing to be self-sufficient or prepare for emergencies? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 1:50 pm

Rudas Starblaze wrote:
i have guns, bullets, a bow, arrows, knives, and a sword and know how to work up a dead animal so food wouldnt be much of a problem any time of year.

of course, it would be nice to stock pile vast amounts of beer and tobacco products.

other than that, im not too worried.

The interesting thing about distilling alcohol is that I suspect that you'll have a key trade item if you expand what you're doing....having lots of tobacco products, likewise.

I don't have a license for gun ownership, but I've seriously considered it, or at least getting a basic BB gun...won't work very well to deter people, but possibly dogs if well aimed.

Simple self sufficiency aside, if everything goes to hell the biggest problem after people will be all the domesticated dogs going semi-feral and likewise trying to survive....pets are going to become competition.
Back to top Go down
Rudas Starblaze
Admin
Rudas Starblaze

Male

PostSubject: Re: What are you doing to be self-sufficient or prepare for emergencies?   What are you doing to be self-sufficient or prepare for emergencies? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 1:55 pm

Krahe Kojote wrote:
[The interesting thing about distilling alcohol is that I suspect that you'll have a key trade item if you expand what you're doing....having lots of tobacco products, likewise.

I don't have a license for gun ownership, but I've seriously considered it, or at least getting a basic BB gun...won't work very well to deter people, but possibly dogs if well aimed.

Simple self sufficiency aside, if everything goes to hell the biggest problem after people will be all the domesticated dogs going semi-feral and likewise trying to survive....pets are going to become competition.

hell! pets will become food! Laughing
alot of ancient people kept pets primarily for a food source when times were bad. as in long rough winters when normal game was scarce. i suspect that if shit hits the fan, domesticated animals will be easily controlled population wise. lol
Back to top Go down
Rudas Starblaze
Admin
Rudas Starblaze

Male

PostSubject: Re: What are you doing to be self-sufficient or prepare for emergencies?   What are you doing to be self-sufficient or prepare for emergencies? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 2:05 pm

actually, a BB or pellet gun would come in handy. theyre not very loud and they have the capability to kill cats, dogs, rabbits, squirrels, and other small animals that you could butcher and eat. not to mention the BBs and/or pellets are a hell of alot cheaper than gun ammo.
Back to top Go down
Sitalique
Admin
Sitalique

Title : Collector of Flame
Female

PostSubject: Re: What are you doing to be self-sufficient or prepare for emergencies?   What are you doing to be self-sufficient or prepare for emergencies? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 2:07 pm

No one is eating my cat Sad
I'll do serious damage to anyone that tries.
And then they can become food.
Back to top Go down
http://sitalique.wordpress.com/
Rudas Starblaze
Admin
Rudas Starblaze

Male

PostSubject: Re: What are you doing to be self-sufficient or prepare for emergencies?   What are you doing to be self-sufficient or prepare for emergencies? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 2:10 pm

Sitalique wrote:
No one is eating my cat Sad
I'll do serious damage to anyone that tries.
And then they can become food.

canniblism will probably come about in big cities....
Back to top Go down
Krahe Kojote

Krahe Kojote

Female

PostSubject: Re: What are you doing to be self-sufficient or prepare for emergencies?   What are you doing to be self-sufficient or prepare for emergencies? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 2:22 pm

Rudas Starblaze wrote:

canniblism will probably come about in big cities....

That I can see happening.

Don't get away from central Illinois much....been to downtown Chicago on a few occasions, all cement, no trees or plants except those in piddly planters. Skyscrapers. Dense population.

No way I ever want to be stuck there in any kind of emergency, even a minor one.
Back to top Go down
Rudas Starblaze
Admin
Rudas Starblaze

Male

PostSubject: Re: What are you doing to be self-sufficient or prepare for emergencies?   What are you doing to be self-sufficient or prepare for emergencies? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 2:26 pm

Krahe Kojote wrote:
That I can see happening.

Don't get away from central Illinois much....been to downtown Chicago on a few occasions, all cement, no trees or plants except those in piddly planters. Skyscrapers. Dense population.

No way I ever want to be stuck there in any kind of emergency, even a minor one.

i agree totally!!
oh the glories of being a redneck country boy! Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
Sitalique
Admin
Sitalique

Title : Collector of Flame
Female

PostSubject: Re: What are you doing to be self-sufficient or prepare for emergencies?   What are you doing to be self-sufficient or prepare for emergencies? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 2:32 pm

That is the sad thing about being in the city. I'm sure the zoos would get hit first before people start chowing on each other though.

And I have no problem with going after the feral cats and dogs, just no one comes after my pet Wink

One reason I would never be good on a farm. I get too attached to animals I own.
Back to top Go down
http://sitalique.wordpress.com/
Krahe Kojote

Krahe Kojote

Female

PostSubject: Re: What are you doing to be self-sufficient or prepare for emergencies?   What are you doing to be self-sufficient or prepare for emergencies? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 2:41 pm

Sitalique wrote:
That is the sad thing about being in the city. I'm sure the zoos would get hit first before people start chowing on each other though.

And I have no problem with going after the feral cats and dogs, just no one comes after my pet Wink

One reason I would never be good on a farm. I get too attached to animals I own.

Truth, same here.

Possibly if I knew from the outset the animal were being raised for food, that would be one thing (don't know, haven't done it), but I doubt I'd be able either do or allow anything to be doe to my cat, save for possibly if it were done out of mercy if I was unable to provide for him....
Back to top Go down
Rudas Starblaze
Admin
Rudas Starblaze

Male

PostSubject: Re: What are you doing to be self-sufficient or prepare for emergencies?   What are you doing to be self-sufficient or prepare for emergencies? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 2:41 pm

my parents name damn near all of their animals. even the ones we eat! lol
Back to top Go down
Penthesilea

Penthesilea

Title : DarkLady
Female

PostSubject: Re: What are you doing to be self-sufficient or prepare for emergencies?   What are you doing to be self-sufficient or prepare for emergencies? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 2:44 pm

Let's see.
We have a .22 rifle, need to stock up on ammo though. As soon as I have enough to pay for it in cash, I'm going to get a good .45 handgun and ammo for that.
We live in the country so game wouldn't be a problem. There are several ponds and lakes around so fish would be available too. Now I've never dressed out a carcass but I have a largish self-sufficiency/survival library that covers that and well, practice makes perfect.
I try to keep the kitchen well stocked and emergency water on hand. The power goes off often enough for that to be Standard Operating Procedure. Likewise, we usually have cash on hand, the amount varies, in case of emergency.
Once it's built, the cats will have their own secure playyard to play in. In a disaster situation, anyone getting close to that enclosure -- which will be attached to the house -- will be looking down the business end of a firearm. Anyone foolish enough to offer violence to kids, cats, LRL or myself can expect to be dead.
I have a thread on Sanctuary on this topic. http://valcariasworld.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1194591945 where I've talked more about the subject.

ETA: I also have a bow but I need to get some "hunting" points for it. I just have "target" ones at the moment. Need to work on my aim too!
Back to top Go down
http://valcariasworld.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
Warden Dike

Warden Dike

Title : Woman in uniform
Female

PostSubject: Re: What are you doing to be self-sufficient or prepare for emergencies?   What are you doing to be self-sufficient or prepare for emergencies? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 10:41 pm

In case of being stranded by the roadside, I have a Weather Channel Roadside Emergency Kit, blankets, Hot Hands packs, Toasty Toes packs, a change of clothing, trail mix, meal bars, dried fruit and water. Keep my Tracfone charged up at all times to make emergent calls. I carry a list of Emergecy contact numbers, my medical insurance card, car insurace card and a list of health ailments and medications.
Back to top Go down
Penthesilea

Penthesilea

Title : DarkLady
Female

PostSubject: Re: What are you doing to be self-sufficient or prepare for emergencies?   What are you doing to be self-sufficient or prepare for emergencies? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 10:51 pm

Warden Dike wrote:
In case of being stranded by the roadside, I have a Weather Channel Roadside Emergency Kit, blankets, Hot Hands packs, Toasty Toes packs, a change of clothing, trail mix, meal bars, dried fruit and water. Keep my Tracfone charged up at all times to make emergent calls. I carry a list of Emergecy contact numbers, my medical insurance card, car insurace card and a list of health ailments and medications.

And if you have to get the hell out of KC, HEAD THIS WAY!
Back to top Go down
http://valcariasworld.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
Warden Dike

Warden Dike

Title : Woman in uniform
Female

PostSubject: Re: What are you doing to be self-sufficient or prepare for emergencies?   What are you doing to be self-sufficient or prepare for emergencies? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 11:17 pm

Will need to see where my father, his wife, my sister and her family will go, then try to all meet up in a predetermined location. My mother, brother and the dog will have to come too. Not leaving anyone behind!
Back to top Go down
Rudas Starblaze
Admin
Rudas Starblaze

Male

PostSubject: Re: What are you doing to be self-sufficient or prepare for emergencies?   What are you doing to be self-sufficient or prepare for emergencies? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 9:12 am

my biggest concern would be my son. theres no way in hell i will let him stay with ex1 if the worst were to happen. so that would mean me loading up the shotguns and the .22 riffle and packing my sword, picking up JT and having him bring all his guns fully loaded with ammo to spare, and making a 2 hour round trip to get my son.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are you doing to be self-sufficient or prepare for emergencies?   What are you doing to be self-sufficient or prepare for emergencies? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What are you doing to be self-sufficient or prepare for emergencies?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
RS Coven :: Coven Hang Out :: Members Area-
Jump to: