HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

My boyfriend is making me a scythe i need a little help

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Quixotically Yours

Title : Stuck in a State of Ennui
Female

PostSubject: My boyfriend is making me a scythe i need a little help   Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:30 pm

My boyfriend is making me a scythe, I've been purchasing the materials. I'm going to paint the handle black and I want to paint the blade a metallic red but i don't know what kind of paint would be best. Any suggestions for the paint and any suggestions on what products to use to protect the paint on the blade and on the handle?
Back to top Go down
Penthesilea

Title : DarkLady
Female

PostSubject: Re: My boyfriend is making me a scythe i need a little help   Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:10 pm

For the handle, if you're going to paint it, I'd use Krylon (in a can, less messy) in either glossy or matte finish depending on your preference with a coat of gray primer underneath. If you decide to stain it black -- a more complex operation -- Miniwax Ebony stain.

For the metal blade, again Krylon. They have a special "metals" line so read the label and be sure that you're picking up the right stuff. I'm pretty sure that they have a metallic red. Skywise has been using Krylon "metal" paint for a couple of decades (he has several WWII military helmets that he's restored/customized) and has gotten very good results with Krylon.
Back to top Go down
http://valcariasworld.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
Quixotically Yours

Female

PostSubject: Re: My boyfriend is making me a scythe i need a little help   Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:53 pm

thanks Penth i'll try to see if i can find it. sunny
Back to top Go down
Penthesilea

Female

PostSubject: Re: My boyfriend is making me a scythe i need a little help   Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:10 pm

Check the nearest Wal-Mart. That where I get mine. Our local Ace Hardware carries it too.
Back to top Go down
Rudas Starblaze
Admin

Title : the heart of darkness
Male

PostSubject: Re: My boyfriend is making me a scythe i need a little help   Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:30 pm

also for the metal, if you have a farm equipment store near by, they sell the really expensive spray paints that are used on farm equipment. its good tough shit too thats made especially for the beatings that farm equipment get. but the metal has to be polished up pretty good with steel wool or a grinder and clean as hell before applying. and definetly be in a well ventelated area AND wear a mask when using it.

for the wood, take Penth's advice cause im clueless there. im usually the type that likes the wood to look old fashioned and rustic so i use 'Scott's Liquid Gold - wood cleaner and preservative' on the handle of my tri-fork.

Female

PostSubject: Re: My boyfriend is making me a scythe i need a little help   Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:47 pm

thanks rudas i don't know if we have a farm supply store here but i can check.

i went to check out walmart and home depots penth and they didn't have what i needed. they suggested autozone. thanks.

on that note i can't wait to show off my bebe when it's done Woot!

rudas i wanna see your tri fork!
Back to top Go down
Rudas Starblaze
Admin

Male

PostSubject: Re: My boyfriend is making me a scythe i need a little help   Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:23 pm

well, heres a pic ye cant see very well, but ill post it anyway.

Female

PostSubject: Re: My boyfriend is making me a scythe i need a little help   Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:43 pm

Rudas Starblaze wrote:
well, heres a pic ye cant see very well, but ill post it anyway.

it does look cool buuuut it blends in with your cloak so i can't see it's full coolness. can we get a stand alone picture too pretty please?
Back to top Go down
Rudas Starblaze
Admin

Male

PostSubject: Re: My boyfriend is making me a scythe i need a little help   Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:01 pm

whenever i get a camera, sure! lol
that tri-fork is older than i am, i wouldnt be suprised if its atleast 100 years old to be honest. when i found it, the handle was so dried out, splintered, and pale white it wasnt even funny, and the metal tri-fork part was rusted brown. i sanded down the handle by hand and rubbed in that wood preservative that i have which really revitalized the wood to my suprise. and then i sanded down the metal part by hand and used steel wool afterwards. only about 4 or 5 hours worth of work.... one of these days if i can ever get my hands on the right equipment, im gonna polish up the metal part to make it more shiney.

Female

PostSubject: Re: My boyfriend is making me a scythe i need a little help   Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:28 pm

Rudas Starblaze wrote:
whenever i get a camera, sure! lol
that tri-fork is older than i am, i wouldnt be suprised if its atleast 100 years old to be honest. when i found it, the handle was so dried out, splintered, and pale white it wasnt even funny, and the metal tri-fork part was rusted brown. i sanded down the handle by hand and rubbed in that wood preservative that i have which really revitalized the wood to my suprise. and then i sanded down the metal part by hand and used steel wool afterwards. only about 4 or 5 hours worth of work.... one of these days if i can ever get my hands on the right equipment, im gonna polish up the metal part to make it more shiney.

can't wait to see it and btw you look pretty bad-ass with it too. tell me have you ever thought about scaring the holy ever loving crap out of JW's and scouts by showing up at the door dressed that way? *snickers*
Back to top Go down
Rudas Starblaze
Admin

Male

PostSubject: Re: My boyfriend is making me a scythe i need a little help   Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:14 pm

JW's wont come near me. the last time a couple of them showed up and tried preaching to me was when i was around 16. and of course on the very day my parents instructed me to go on a chicken killing spree so they could butcher them. needless to say, after about 15 minutes of them attempting to preach while i was having a blast lopping off chickens heads and giggling as the blood was splattering all over me, my face, and them.... they finally gave up and left.

Female

PostSubject: Re: My boyfriend is making me a scythe i need a little help   Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:19 pm

Yeah, I suspect that your name and address are definitely highlighted in the local Kingdom Hall's files. We don't get any JWs calling here since I informed them that Skywise is a "former" and left the group to marry me. Giggles They've avoided us like the plague ever since.
Back to top Go down
Lightdragon

Title : the crystal wizard
Male

PostSubject: Re: My boyfriend is making me a scythe i need a little help   Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:47 pm

I know of one druid who used white paint instead of chalk body line . then added some red paint and glued a bible by the scene.

had no more problems with the JW after that.
Back to top Go down
http://lightdragonii.deviantart.com/
ereshkigal

Title : mefferstofferleez
Female

PostSubject: Re: My boyfriend is making me a scythe i need a little help   Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:05 pm

Penthesilea wrote:
Yeah, I suspect that your name and address are definitely highlighted in the local Kingdom Hall's files.

Pretty sure mine is! I've had a few run ins with them, the latest being when I was grinding down a sword I cut with a torch in the driveway Laughing

Quixotically, you're making a scythe? Awesome! I've got one laying around here somewhere, its pretty old and decrepit though.
Back to top Go down
Quixotically Yours

Female

PostSubject: Re: My boyfriend is making me a scythe i need a little help   Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:53 pm

ereshkigal wrote:
Penthesilea wrote:
Yeah, I suspect that your name and address are definitely highlighted in the local Kingdom Hall's files.

Pretty sure mine is! I've had a few run ins with them, the latest being when I was grinding down a sword I cut with a torch in the driveway Laughing

Quixotically, you're making a scythe? Awesome! I've got one laying around here somewhere, its pretty old and decrepit though.

alas! i am sadly inept at such things. my boyfriend is joyfully doing it for me.
Back to top Go down
Quixotically Yours

Female

PostSubject: Re: My boyfriend is making me a scythe i need a little help   Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:16 pm

My Scythe is Finally done! Now all I need to do is grab a camera and take pics for you guys! It is one bitchin scythe I love it! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Lightdragon

Title : the crystal wizard
Male

PostSubject: Re: My boyfriend is making me a scythe i need a little help   Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:46 am

congrats Q.Y.

Rudas: almost forgot you were holding a red sphere in that photo. off hand my guess is it's glass?
Back to top Go down
http://lightdragonii.deviantart.com/
Rudas Starblaze
Admin

Male

PostSubject: Re: My boyfriend is making me a scythe i need a little help   Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:32 am

Lightdragon wrote:
congrats Q.Y.

Rudas: almost forgot you were holding a red sphere in that photo. off hand my guess is it's glass?

havent a clue! it was given to me as a gift around 17 years ago. all i know is that the person that bought it got it for $100 cheaper than it shoulda been due to the clerk misreading the price tag. Laughing

Female

PostSubject: Re: My boyfriend is making me a scythe i need a little help   Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:10 pm

Rudas Starblaze wrote:
Lightdragon wrote:
congrats Q.Y.

havent a clue! it was given to me as a gift around 17 years ago. all i know is that the person that bought it got it for $100 cheaper than it shoulda been due to the clerk misreading the price tag. Laughing

what a lucky mistake...for your friend jocolor
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My boyfriend is making me a scythe i need a little help   

Back to top Go down

My boyfriend is making me a scythe i need a little help
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1