RS Coven

Members Forum

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Writing; What styles do you do best with? Worst with? Need more improvement on?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Quixotically Yours

Title : Stuck in a State of Ennui
Female

PostSubject: Writing; What styles do you do best with? Worst with? Need more improvement on?   Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:52 am

Well I used to think that angsty stuff and description was what I did best. But now I realize that my emotionally charged scenes make my characters sound more like Teenage Drama Queens and I put way TOO much description to the point where it becomes tedious and detracts from the story. What I do worst is smut and action. I can see action and smut beautifully in my head but I can never transfer it onto the paper the way it should be. I've found that comedic and introverted, quiet characters and situations are actually what I do best. Also I need help with grammar and proper structure because mine is terrible.

So what about the rest of you who write? What's your best and worst? and what could you or would like to improve on more?
Back to top Go down
Rudas Starblaze
Admin

Title : the heart of darkness
Male

PostSubject: Re: Writing; What styles do you do best with? Worst with? Need more improvement on?   Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:25 pm

i just need to learn how to keep an attention span long enough to read something thats more than 3 or 4 paragraphs long! Laughing

Title : chaos wrapped in cute
Male

PostSubject: Re: Writing; What styles do you do best with? Worst with? Need more improvement on?   Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:04 am

I've got poetry and one short story published.
Tried writing a novel with another person and failed miserably.
Back to top Go down
Penthesilea

Title : DarkLady
Female

PostSubject: Re: Writing; What styles do you do best with? Worst with? Need more improvement on?   Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:14 am

Two things I have to watch is a tendency to switch verb tenses, sometimes in the same sentence. The second thing is, if I'm not careful, all my characters will use the same speech pattern that I do.
Back to top Go down
http://valcariasworld.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
Quixotically Yours

Female

PostSubject: Re: Writing; What styles do you do best with? Worst with? Need more improvement on?   Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:14 am

Penthesilea wrote:
Two things I have to watch is a tendency to switch verb tenses, sometimes in the same sentence. The second thing is, if I'm not careful, all my characters will use the same speech pattern that I do.

that does make sense since they are an extension of you
Back to top Go down
Lightdragon

Title : the crystal wizard
Male

PostSubject: Re: Writing; What styles do you do best with? Worst with? Need more improvement on?   Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:34 am

Quixotically Yours wrote:
Penthesilea wrote:

that does make sense since they are an extension of you

it does. each character has their own personality. Like one character will say

"Hello Mame how are you doing?" while another will say it like this:

" 'ello missy, 'ow you're doin'?" and it goes on and on.
Back to top Go down
http://lightdragonii.deviantart.com/
Penthesilea

Female

PostSubject: Re: Writing; What styles do you do best with? Worst with? Need more improvement on?   Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:00 am

Exactly. It's reasonable for "one" character to sound like me but the others shouldn't. I have to make a conscious effort to make everyone sound different. The reader should be able to make an accurate guess as to who is talking in a scene without my having to use "he said, she said" all the time.
Back to top Go down
Rudas Starblaze
Admin

Male

PostSubject: Re: Writing; What styles do you do best with? Worst with? Need more improvement on?   Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:17 am

Penthesilea wrote:
Exactly. It's reasonable for "one" character to sound like me but the others shouldn't. I have to make a conscious effort to make everyone sound different. The reader should be able to make an accurate guess as to who is talking in a scene without my having to use "he said, she said" all the time.

any time i write i use basically the same technique that screne play writters use. a block paragraph describing the scene and then when it comes to conversations, each persons dialog is its own paragraph. for example:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
bob, sally, and frank were walking down the street and spotted a tattoo parlor. they stood out in front of the shop sipping on their beverages looking at all the different designs that were available. sally notices a sign that stated 'walk-ins welcome" and turned to the guys and said:

"hey, check this out guys!"

bob: "oh badass!! walk-ins welcomed! lets do it!"

frank: "sounds like a plan to me! ive tried calling around but everyone ive talked to has a 4 to 6 month waiting list..."

as bob, sally, and frank enter the tattoo parlor... etc etc etc.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

that technique earned me A+ on several story writing assignments back in highschool even if had alot of bad spelling because nobody else seemed to grasp the concept of dialog in their stories. grant it, i never bothered to learn 80% of the definitions of shit like nouns, verbs, fragments, etc etc though... lol

Female

PostSubject: Re: Writing; What styles do you do best with? Worst with? Need more improvement on?   Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:36 am

What I've been doing with the novels I'm writing is converting the posts that I have permission to use into text and dialog. The biggest problem I've had so far is creating new characters and dialog to "fill in the blanks" left by the posts I don't have permission to use.
Back to top Go down
Rudas Starblaze
Admin

Male

PostSubject: Re: Writing; What styles do you do best with? Worst with? Need more improvement on?   Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:38 am

oooOOOOoooohhhh... that doesnt sound like fun....

Female

PostSubject: Re: Writing; What styles do you do best with? Worst with? Need more improvement on?   Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:51 am

Rudas Starblaze wrote:

It was a pain in my teeth!

But. I got to kill the annoying ones off. Two aren't dead yet but one was last seen writhing in a shallow pool of burning oil [she'll survive for the moment, I'm gonna REALLY kill her later] while the other PITA is going to be torn apart by a young shapeshifter whose mother has just been murdered.
VERY satisfying, I must say.
Back to top Go down
Quixotically Yours

Female

PostSubject: Re: Writing; What styles do you do best with? Worst with? Need more improvement on?   Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:45 pm

Penthesilea wrote:
Rudas Starblaze wrote:

But. I got to kill the annoying ones off. Two aren't dead yet but one was last seen writhing in a shallow pool of burning oil [she'll survive for the moment, I'm gonna REALLY kill her later] while the other PITA is going to be torn apart by a young shapeshifter whose mother has just been murdered.

makes me glad I'M not a character in one of your stories
Back to top Go down
Penthesilea

Female

PostSubject: Re: Writing; What styles do you do best with? Worst with? Need more improvement on?   Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:35 am

Quixotically Yours wrote:
Penthesilea wrote:
Rudas Starblaze wrote:

makes me glad I'M not a character in one of your stories

Giggles It isn't so bad. My "world" is full of hot guys and there is plenty of action to go around. Monogamy is NOT required and the society as a whole doesn't give a hoot who you're playing with as long as everyone is legal and consenting. It's only the PITAs that are meeting a bad end, mainly because it's fun and because I want to bring in some new characters that haven't been created to fill "slots" left empty because I don't have permission to use the original characters.
Back to top Go down
Quixotically Yours

Female

PostSubject: Re: Writing; What styles do you do best with? Worst with? Need more improvement on?   Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:46 am

you got a link to it Penth?
Back to top Go down
Penthesilea

Female

PostSubject: Re: Writing; What styles do you do best with? Worst with? Need more improvement on?   Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:51 pm

I'm not writing it online. It's a manuscript. The original thread with all the "real life" in it and the stuff I had to take out is on the "other site". I can PM you the addy. It runs over 500 pages.

The revised one is on my site, Sanctuary and here's the link. http://valcariasworld.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=prehistory

There are a lot of gaps, I'm afraid since I haven't gone back and filled them in. I decided to just write the damned books and fill those gaps in later. Which since I've finished the first two, I probably should get to! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Writing; What styles do you do best with? Worst with? Need more improvement on?   

Back to top Go down

Writing; What styles do you do best with? Worst with? Need more improvement on?
Page 1 of 1